Online Visitors Gallery
- Consuelo Castañeda (b. 1958, Havana) and Emmett Moore (b. 1988, Miami) have been invited to create an immersive environment within MAM’s plaza-level gallery that responds formally and conceptually to works by each of the other participants.
- Gideon Barnett (b. 1981 Jasper, Tennessee) employs the language of traditional documentary photography to create quasi-anthropological, conceptual projects that examine Miami’s unique cultural landscape.
- Bhakti Baxter (b. 1979, Miami) presents a series of paintings drawn from images of masks and figurines from around the world; the work explores the ways in which visual conventions and cultural beliefs influence our collective understanding of human history.
- Sinisa Kukec (b.1970, Zagreb) uses found furniture, resin, pigment, graphite and other materials to create sculptures that display jewel-like effects while teeming with oozing, organic surface textures.
- Odalis Valdivieso (b. 1969, Caracas) employs experimental digital photographic techniques to subvert modernist painterly traditions.
- George Sánchez-Calderón (b. 1967, New York) and Tom Scicluna (b. 1974, London) will create newlycommissioned outdoor works.
- Loriel Beltran (b. 1985, Caracas) works in a range of media and will include a new series of paintings and sculptures in the exhibition, both related to Miami’s unique architectural, visual, and social landscape. He will also create a new site-specific mural for the exhibition’s title wall.
- Moira Holohan (b. 1976, New York) is including a three-channel video work that uses labor-intensive processes to transform intangible digital material into tactile, visceral animations.
- SPRING BREAK, an artist run nomadic project space, will work with MAM’s education department to create all of the public programming for the exhibition, developing activities ranging from musical performances to lectures to boat trips.
In the News
January 27, 2013 - el Nuevo Herald: "‘New Work Miami’: el arte como termómetro urbano"
December 9, 2012 - The Miami Herald: "Local artists only for MAM's New Work Miami 2013"
November 29, 2012 - Miami New Times: "MAM's "New Work Miami 2013" Showcases Local Talent"
November 27, 2012 - Artdaily.org: "New Work Miami 2013 exhibition celebrates the city's artists"
November 16, 2012 - The Wall Street Journal: "Don't Miss: Nov. 17-23"